Monday, May 7, 2007

Salarys for Working Moms Vs SAHM

I am sure many of you saw the articles last week about what a SAHM is worth last week.

Salary.com determined that the time mothers spend performing 10 typical job functions would equate to an annual salary of $138,095 for a stay-at-home mom. Working moms ‘at-home’ salary is $85,939 in 2007; this is in addition to the salary they earn in the workplace.

No doubt very penny would be earned if being a SAHM were a paying gig!

I was a little perplexed by this stat:

  • Moms work an average of 90 hours a week. Working Moms reported spending 44 hours per week at their "work job" and 49.8 hours at their "mom job," for a total of 93.8 hours per week. The Stay-at-Home Mom works 91.6 hours at her mom job.
'Cause I work an average of 40 hours per week (no more no less...) BUT I am also VERY engaged during the time I spend with Matthew and I am usually around him on average about 73 hours a week which would put my time between work and home at 113 hours of mom time and work time combined. I would also say that even though I work 40 hours per week, I spend more then half of those hours thinking about Matthew (and getting things done for him at work - appts, buying things he needs online, doing laundry-cleaning the house-planning dinners during our lunch hour every day so I can devote the time I have with him more fully...) SO basically I do not have much of a life for me and I am completely happy about that BUT I do want to point out that I work freaking hard to make sure that I spend more time with Matthew then I do at work because that is what is important to me. I would have to say that the 91.6 hours of mom job for the SAHMs I mean 'WOW'- when you put it that way, holy shit, that is just freakin' unbelievable. Hats off to you ladies who are SAHMs too (and makes me sort of scared to even think about that kind of time at home but that is TOTALLY just me!)

Ah and this one:

Working Moms get less sleep. Working Moms reported getting only 6.4 hours of sleep per night, versus 6.7 for the Stay-at-Home Moms.

Probably true but on the other hand it is my choice - after Matthew goes to sleep I am a woman in motion - I clean up, get organized, do the dishes, sweep the floors, do any lingering laundry, plan for the next day, watch TV, read a book/magazine, and unwind from the day. I could give up doing some of this but I like to get it done so I suffer when it comes to losing to sleep. I actually was just thinking this AM that I really need to work on getting back into an earlier bed time routine so I am a fresher happier person at week's end.

And then just WOW to these... Yeah still considering hiring someone to come clean the house. I do not know what I would do without Kevin though - he takes on half burden. He cooks, cleans, does the laundry, etc and I am glad for that. I would be sort of sad if I stopped working and he perhaps felt entitled to not have to do that because he was the only one working - ha, good excuse to keep working, right?! Just kidding!
  • Two extra hours that Working Moms devote to two jobs result in two fewer hours of sleep
    Both kinds of moms report that the "lower paying" mom role of housekeeper is their most common role.
  • Working Moms work 7.2 hours as housekeeper, versus 22.1 for Stay at Home Moms
    Taken together, the three lowest paying roles of housekeeper, laundry machine operator, and janitor represent 29 percent of the Working Mom's "mom job," but as much as 38 percent of the Stay-at-Home Mom's job, suggesting that Working Moms need assistance with these tasks.
  • "My house isn't as clean as I would like and I want to spend more time with my family"
    Working Moms and Stay at Home Moms both spend roughly 4 hours per week nurturing the emotional needs of their kids in the "mom job" of psychologist. The big difference appears to be in the "mom job" of day care center teacher, with Stay at Home Moms reporting an average of 15.7 hours per week and Working Moms reporting 7.2 hours per week.
  • The desire to have time to teach their children prompted write-in responses from Working Moms, who report being more focused and efficient in their day job so they can come home and have more time for their "mom job." Often these moms skip lunch, come in early, and give up exercise in order to save time to be with their kids for homework and other activities.
Ah, so I thought that was interesting enough to share. Hope you thought it was interesting too. Here's the salary wizard in case you curious as to how this works.

No comments: