Monday, August 13, 2007

A VERY Long Weekend

Not to be negative or anything, but this weekend made both Kevin and I re-think the plan to consider having another child next year. There may be no accurate description to explain why...

I was smacked, punched (no literally PUNCHED) in the face and nose, kicked and run over by various and sundry type of trucks/cars... Usually Matthew is quite in tune when we say 'ouch that hurt' or I shriek in pain (because this time it did really hurt) but this weekend Matthew had no mercy! He just looked at me every time and laughed OR did whatever hurt again. He sat in time out about 56, 789 times at two minutes a clip that is a lot of time in time out. He routinely was happy as a lark and melting down in .01 seconds flat. It was truly amazing to sit back and watch.

I have hardly ever seen Kevin lose his patience with Matthew or become very tired out by Matthew - by Sunday night even Kevin was DE-FEATED. It was like toddler hell. I said the only other time recently that I have felt this way about Matthew was the Hand, Foot and Mouth disease epi from earlier this spring. And before that - when Matthew was a little babe... I was routinely exhausted, frustrated and I would just laugh (hysterically and manically...)

Kroger was the pinnacle of Matthew's Meltdown Weekend. Right before the meltdown in the store I rushed Matthew out. I sat in the car with him while Kevin paid for our groceries... Matthew sat on the floor of the car screaming, crying and sweating (even with the air on high...) about not getting to see the construction site while I just sat there feeling emotionally beat up. The lady who came to tell me my purse was on the trunk of the car probably thought about calling CPS before she realized it was just a toddler meltdown and thankfully Kevin came walking up looking VERY calm and smiley... He was not so smiley after the nice lady walked away - he just looked... tired...

I think some people are rigged up to be parents... and most days I feel wholly inadequate in the parenting department. My patience has been worn down the past ten days from this weather on top of the weekend antics. I just feel bad for Matthew. He was not intentionally being a bad kid and obviously the fact that we get so tired out by this kind of behavior has to do with the fact that we have to deal with it SO little. Matthew is usually a charm. He hardly acts this way but holy shit one last evil molar it still gouging its way through his gum, perhaps an ear infection/eye infection, sinus infection and/or allergies just put the poor kiddo (and apparently his parents) over the edge.

At the end of the day (or weekend), I still love my son and I know we will probably have another little Schmidty running around the house next year... I just need to remember this too shall pass...

Ah, a lighter note (literally), I weighed in at WW 1.8 lbs lighter then last week. After this weekend, during which I ate like crapola and probably gained it all back but still...

I did not accomplish half of what I had hoped to but Matthew & I did get our passports (expedited no less - holy expensive...) (Melt down #2 occurred at the post office.)

We went to the lovely shady park on Sunday. It was pretty in the morning then the heat attacked so we left (Meltdown #14 occurred here...)

We had take out twice (Matthew was happy about this - he liked the PBJ with banana sandwich from BF.)

Kevin (and I) painted Matthew's little chairs. They did not turn out so well and I think I will need to sand them down for the most part and repaint them. Kevin is not so familiar with finishing furniture...

I did get Matthew his baby doll - which he promptly flung the baby on the ground and pronounced that "the baby was sleeping" and walked away without even looking back at the poor thing... He later recanted and held the baby by its arm and said the baby was sleeping while stuffing said baby under his arm pit...

Matthew and I did have some wonderful moments - my favorite was playing football with Matthew downstairs yesterday afternoon. We were both laughing so hard - so hard that I had Matthew snorting while he laughed!

Ah, here's to the weekend.

1 comment:

Tess said...

Sounds like you're doing great to me!

I like his reaction to the baby doll. Sometimes I feel like acting that way myself. The baby is SLEEPING!