Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Baby Pancake

In case you are curious (because I know you are!) and have you been wondering why I called the baby growing inside me Baby Pancake, let me explain. One day recently I received a babycenter.com e-mail about the fetus growth at 7 weeks. At some point that evening in Matthew's company I mentioned that our baby was the size of a blueberry. This fruit is coincidentally Matthew's most favorite food of all time bar none and also he LOVES him some pancakes.

Fast forward a couple of weeks later (and Kelly you can correct me on this story...) Matthew was chatting with Kelly about babies (maybe?) and he told Kelly that 'Mommy has a Baby Blueberry Pancake in her belly'. Okay, I am taking liberties with this story because I totally did not hear the whole story when Kelly told it though I know Kevin did and I really only caught part of it. After that we started referring to the baby as Baby Blueberry Pancake but it has since been shortened to Baby Pancake. I suppose we could have gone with the acronym, 'BBP' but we seem to like Baby Pancake better. It works, it makes us chuckle because we are dorky like that and Matthew helped determine the name so that makes it even more special!!

And it such a nicer, more pleasant and a sweeter name than what Kevin came up the first time - Bull. Our last name is Schmidt... Get it - Bull Schmidt. Yeah, he just got finished playing hockey in the beer leagues - go figure he would come up with Bull Schmidt!

Sigh. SO what did you call your baby before it was born (and also before you found out the sex if you found out the sex?!)

6 comments:

Tess said...

Once we found out AD was a girl, we called her "The Girl". We still call her that! Weird.

jennifer said...

We called Liam "bebe" and I still call him that - nothing too exciting, I suppose!

Kelly said...

You gut the jist of the story. ;) All I can remember calling Gray was "bug," but I'm not totally sure I actually refered to him that way before his birth or not. Hmm....

Jen said...

Aww I love that Matthew helped pick out the nickname and Baby Pancake is oh-so-cute! :)

Randy and I called our little guy "The Bean" at first and now mostly "Baby Boy" since we still have not settled on a name!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Baby Pancake! Very cute! I don't recall having any cute nicknames for either of the kids before they were born...mostly just The Baby (how creative)! After we found out the sex we often called Lily by her name. With Cameron we weren't telling the name to everyone so we just called him Baby Boy. Word of advice...unless you want everyone to know the name don't tell Matthew! Lily cannot keep a secret and nearly gave away the name to our parents on a few occasions!

Christina Schmidt said...

I love the names! Thanks for sharing!!! I like Bug & Bean! And I always loved bebe (your last name) Jennifer - it sounded so lovely together! Better then BS!??!?

Also, Melissa: I figured that would be the case but thanks for the reminder! Considering Matthew and I went to buy Kevin's gift from Matthew for Christmas when Kev was in Canada. As soon as Kevin walked in the door Matthew said "Daddy we bought you slippers for Christmas!" He was so proud to tell!