Monday, April 9, 2007

What a wonderful weekend!

Okay, I must gush. I had a super fantastic wonderful weekend. It started out with that smile!

On Saturday morning we had swim class. I was going in the water with Matthew - Kevin & I switch off every other week so one of us is not always in the water. Matthew and Kevin came out of the changing room and Matthew saw me and had this ear to ear grin. If I had a camera I would have snapped a picture. That grin did not go away the entire class even when he was chattering cold and wanted to get out. He was so dang happy to be there. He even walked into the water on his own, kicked and chirped and reached and blew bubbles. He was saying 'up and down' and yelled "bus song" and he even jumped in off the side. All with that smile that I remember until the end of time.

Then we raced off to the egg hunt on the court house lawn. Now let it be known that B-town did not get any snow this weekend - flurries but no snow not like Cleveland and other parts of the Midwest and NE. It was COLD however. We were almost late so Kevin dropped us off and we took out spot minutes before the whistle. There were lots of people but we had a great spot. The whole event last about 1 minute but Matthew and I found SIX whole eggs! He was so dang cute getting the eggs and throwing them in my bag. On a side note, the clown scared the crap out of him - I think they're kinda freaky too.

We went home and Matthew had a long old nap after all the adventure of the morning. I went to order his birthday cake which is actually going to be cupcakes. I decided to do something different. I also ordered a 6 inch round for his actual birthday. I was going to order balloons but the store was closed to my chagrin after driving around for 15 minutes trying to find a spot - grr... so I went to the library and picked up a bunch of books and CDs for Matthew.

It has been awhile since we have library books so it was nice to see Matthew's face light up when he saw all the "lie berry" books. We read until we could read no more - his favs were the two construction books and the Itsy Bitsy Spider book. There was so many other reasons Saturday was wonderful. Matthew asking for hot chocolate milk - we stopped at Starbuckets after the egg hunt and I had a hot chocolate. He loves that stuff!! And that smile, did I mention that smile!?!?

I actually planned earlier that week for Easter Sunday brunch. Since we not really religious and do not go to church, I still want to have Easter be special in the sense that it is about family time. I decided on an Easter brunch and I wanted to make Easter magical the way it was for me when I was young. After Matthew went to sleep, I actually did something in the kitchen. I am not normally that active in there. I baked Banana bread - Matthew's all time fav. He asks for it all the time! I also made homemade Blueberry muffins. Then I colored Easter eggs. I know usually the kids do this but I thought how much more magical would it be then to have colored eggs appear out of no where from the Easter bunny. I only did eight because who wants 12 hard boiled colored eggs to eat... UGH, not me. I got his basket ready and put it out with a card from us.

Sunday morning dawned early for me as I had eggs to hide and a secret treat for Kevin. By the time Matthew was up, everything was set. He was so filled with wonder! He loved his basket - he liked the pinwheel best and carried it around off and on all day. Then the egg hunt with Daddy. They found all the eggs and then did it all over again with the plastic eggs. Matthew was thrilled to see the banana bread and had some of that. We laid around for a bit then I started on brunch. Matthew ate a ton of food as did we. We had the aforementioned bread and muffins, plus melon, pineapples, strawberries and blueberries as well as eggs and toast. It was fun to sit around and eat in our pj's. Then Matthew went downstairs to run a muck. It was the best Easter I have had in a long time. It was tiresome but so worth it and I loved every minute of it.

No comments: